Skip to main content

After Completing a 10 day Vipassana Meditation Course

Its been a several days since I completed my 10 day Vipassana course in Blue Ridge Virginia. I have wanted to learn what it meant to experience Vipassana since 2007 and finally in 2011 I have attended a course that was well worth the wait. I am actually more thankful that I took my time before taking the course because I spent several years meditating in lotus pose and became accustomed to blocking out time simply to just be and clear my mind in meditation.

 

Vipassana as taught by S.N. Goenka has nothing to do with clearing or concentrating ones mind as I knew it in my past experiences of meditation. Vipassana 10 day courses are designed to "purify your mind" which is a much more intense process in my opinion. Why so intense? Well for me it was several things. Allow me list 3

The Timetable:

The first obvious intensified experience for me was based on the fact that I thought I already knew how to meditate in many respects. I was used to meditating on the surface of my mind and concentrating my mind for 30-1hr at most. In Vipassana your schedule allows for you to begin meditating at 4:30am and within the course of a day you might have meditated if you worked diligently and as the course is designed you would have meditated for 8hours or more at least 8 times during the course of the day. Only stopping to eat, discuss with teachers any questions, or to wash clothing or do minor chores. Yes you read correctly 8 hrs of meditation. The course is for those who don't mind being focussed and working. Its not a mediation, relaxation getaway so to speak if you catch my drift. (its not daydreaming for 8 hours)

[caption id="attachment_1313" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Horses at Vipassana Blue Ridge Virginia"]Horses at Vipassana Blue Ridge Virginia [/caption]

One day I began to walk slowly and almost as if I was a monk taking steps very lightly and cautiously. From a distance you would think I was an enlightened monk but upon further inspection you would then notice that my legs were so soar and aching from sitting in cross legged position I could barely go anywhere unmindful. Each step was careful and filled with angst :).

 

2. "The Precepts"

Although like I mentioned earlier I did have some experience with meditation I never had to undertake any specific disciplines or follow any set rules. We had several precepts that complemented our meditation. 5 precepts to be exact. It was like being a monk for 10 days. Complete silence of speech. This helped silence the drama and thoughts about the outside world and its distractions. Hopefully you would have chose a Vipassana center where you can commune with nature and witness the ever changing circle of life and harmony around you like I did. The environment played a special role in the Vipassana because you are to abstain from all intoxicants. Influence from the outside world can lead to all types of temptations but during the course we were so secure in our practice that we even ate our last meal around 5pm and that was only fruit, tea and sometimes a tiny light snack. Intense yes? But necessary and doable. I found the lighter I ate the lighter my being was. The other precepts of abstaining from stealing, sexual activity, and telling lies were easy when you could talk. Which leads me to

Where we slept

3. "separation of Men and Women"

In Vipassana the men and women are to walk separate paths and eat separately. After the first day you are to take noble silence from all participants and you barely get to see the opposite sex for 10 days. I found this a trigger for my most inner subconscious impurities. I found that in meditation I sometimes would lure myself into a day dream about some sort of sensual pleasure or experience with the opposite sex. It was hard to not notice the lustful nature of my inner being that I tried to suppress for so long. Eventually I had to just forgive myself for my nature and my impure thoughts and to come to grips with the sensations I was feeling inside in order to develop a balanced and calm and alert demeanor about myself whenever these feelings came up. I think it was all apart of the meditation and the process of the course being that one of the main objectives was to not give in to the habitual pattern of craving, or having aversion to whatever sensations, thoughts or feelings came up during your practice. Knowing that in the end like everything else sensations rise and fall, come and go, become intense and then disappear. Such a great way to experience the truths about life. Yes it was work but in the end it was well worth it.

[caption id="attachment_1315" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Checking out the pond with a few great students"]A few great students[/caption]

Sun up til sun down I was involved in a meditative experience that was secured and structured by volunteers and other Vipassana participants. It was awesome. At the end  and at the beginning of the course it was understood that everything that was provided for us was provided due to donations and contributions of time, effort, energy, and financed by other students who came before us.

I would not only do it again but I would also volunteer. The good thing about being an "Old Student" is I can now attend 3 day courses and in the time span of a weekend get the intense benefits of a 10 day course. The food was great and all vegetarian dishes. The service of those around me was full of love and dedication. Must of been that southern hospitality I always heard about. Virginia is the place to be when you want a Vipassana with kind hearted folk from the near by areas. (the Mid-Atlantic Strip) When the course was over I stayed at a home a few hours away of one of the students for a few days to decompress and do some chores (like laundry, yoga, and journaling) before I came back to the busy NYC. I also took some time to enjoy the nature around me and assimilate to the culture and people of Virginia and North Carolina which wasn't that far from us.

[caption id="attachment_1316" align="aligncenter" width="377" caption="Riding through Virginia"]Riding through Virginia[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1317" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Horses in Virginia"]Horses in Virginia[/caption]

My vipassana experience was one of the best 10 days I have had in my life. I really needed to get out of the NYC area and focus on myself and the issues I was suppressing in order to flow along in life's rat race and live day by day without erupting. But the clouded and negative energy was still within me uncheck and undealt with. This allowed me a to be in a safe place where I can do some mental, physical, and spiritual surgery giving me a gentle nudge right back on the right track where I need to be. I am very grateful that I learned of Vipassana and am grateful to those who have taken the course before me and have given me the glimpse of what would be possible for me if I took it.

Special shout out to Roshman Patten "Sum Kid", Doug Evans "The Raw CEO", Daina Januta, Jason Maclean, Eduardo Darancou, and the many others who have paved the way for me in regards to the path of Dhamma.

If reading this you have questions or want to know more about Vipassana. Please feel free to ask or go to their main website at Dhamma.org. There are courses located all over the Americas, and the world, even in India if you want to go and sit for 10 days. Check it out and let me know what you think. Peace and love.


Yours Truly,
David J Williams - a.k.a. U.N.D.A.K.O.V.A. Universe Naturally Delivers All Knowledge Offering Vitality Automatically

917-512-3752
(or reply to this email)::Read my Blog:: http://www.Undakova.com
::Follow my tweets:: http://www.Twitter.com/undakova
::Hear my music:: http://www.ilike.com/artist/Undakova+Music
::Buy my music:: http://www.reverbnation.com/undakova
::Get the Undakova Iphone App::  http://www.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320574933&mt=8&partnerId=30&siteID=ibjSM6AV2mI-cIK6NaMPJQv908N04uzRSg

Don't forget to share this link with your friends http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2453537
Its like giving away good vibrations.


 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Reasons why becoming a member of Beat365 rocks.

As you already might know I go by the alias Undakova (Undercover) and I am beat maker, DJ and MC here in NYC. I have been producing hip hop beats since the 90s and have produced my own hip hop instrumentals for my album created here in New York City. I often get asked by R & B artist and MCs "Can you produce some beats for my album?" One day the question popped up in my head "Where does an artist find great sounding Hip hop, r&b and rap beats that sound so good you play them in your car for fun as well as record song after song with them?" If an artist doesn't have a friend or business partner who is a producer or know how to/ want to produce beats on there own spare time (which can take a lot of time and money) where does he/she find a complete collection of hip hop beats? Well the answer is simple. . . . To find Hip hop, r&b and rap beats that sound so good you play them in your car for fun as well as record song after song with them go to Beats365

GANGURU GiRL$ [Japanese "Blackface" Lil KIM ERA]

0r__nah : Japanese  Ganguro   Girls  or " yamanbe "  are considered " blackface " also translated to "heavily  sunburned   face." As a subculture they challenge the official  sanitized ,  sweet  and  subservient  image of Japanese women in endless service of male patriarchy. Highly controversial, considered animalistic and racially "Other"  ganguro Girls  trace back to the original ruler of  ancient  Japan, a powerful  shamanic Empress  and are likewise associated with  #magic   #myth   #fairies #witchcraft   #MountainWomen  and #folklore   #Goddessworship   #FemalePower   #BadBitches   #Radical   #Trickster s  #BlackMother Worship   #GAiAMatrix   #Shamana   ⚡️💖🙌🌸🌊🔥👑💎💜💖⚡️⭐️💛💀 And then there's the STINK FACE, Or Nah? BONUS : :  We are 38% star stuff and 53% water we are cosmic  beings made of oxygen carbon nitrogen and calcium  that was produced by red Giants and supernovae eons  - High

Opening Theme - Fraggle Rock - The Jim Henson Company

I don't know I just had to recap on my childhood real quick.